Monday, November 27, 2006

Mom wants you! Africa Update #2

I knew when my siblings come running towards me yelling, "mom wants you!" it wasn't good! I had probably done something wrong and they ran to get me in trouble. We all know that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, that is not the route I took!
I love the Gospel of Mark in the Bible because he gets to the point and gets there fast! Before we end the first chapter we learn that Jesus is baptized, tempted, casting out many demons, healing the sick, preaching with authority and sets a man free from leprosy. Jesus' fame has over taken Galilee, so much so that he must stay in secluded or lonely places. By the time we get to chapter three the Pharisees are already discussing plans to kill him. It doesn't "look good" for Jesus and to make matters worse he is sent word that his mother wants to talk to him!
I was pondering the other day if I would want a big house with a small yard or a small house with a big yard. It's a dumb question but I was driving by big houses with small yards and it had to be settled in my mind. I chose the big yard. In America it seems that the size of our families have decreased while the size of our homes have increased. It also seems that the size of the Locke family is increasing (now I got your attention).
Well, I am a bit behind because I have now received three emails from Emie and this is only the second one you have received from me. Sorry for the laziness or was it exhaustion? I actually am doing great and see how instrumental this time is for the boys and me. I know the Lord has me with Judah to bring out Christ in him at his age. He has become more obedient (can I get an AMEN?!), has bonded more with me and feels more at peace with living in Africa, if the Lord wills it. He also has realized his sister will not be around to pick up for him.
Asher just loves following me around. He grabs any tool to assist me. He is a working machine and should I forget, an EATER! I have never seen a little tyke eat so much. The Locke boys are doing great and for sure missing mom. Judah asked when Mom was coming home from Africa (he hasn't wondered when Abiel was coming, must by a sibling thing) and I said 6 more weeks. He pondered that for a minute and then blurted out, "that's not very long at all", as he counted to six. I had to give the missing information that there are 7 days in a week. "Oh, what does that mean?"

Emie and Abiel are in their element, though not without little adjustments. Abiel at times seems reserved with the African children because of the language barrier, but does make an effort to play with them. She has been blessed with her 7-year-old friend, Katherine and they are an answer to each other’s prayers. Abiel is soaking up Heidi. She sits at her feet every time she teaches and takes it all in. Heidi has prayed over her and Katherine several times. The other day in class the adults prayed over all the kids. Abiel was overwhelmed with the presence of God and told Emie, "I felt like falling over. Mom if you weren't standing behind me, I would have fallen over!" The day before, her and Katherine were on their faces in the front worshiping and Katherine actually went to heaven and told her dad about it and her dad shared the experience with the school. God truly does give us children so we become like them in faith not so they become like us in intellect. If we don't, we can't enter heaven! (Matt.18:3)

We all know that a house doesn’t create a family any more than sex creates intimacy! I read the other day that; “Judas wanted intimacy without covenant; that’s why he left supper during communion and then betrayed Jesus with a kiss.” Then he went and told on him. So what is family and why does Jesus tells us we most not love our children more than him? In part because I tend to not obey the Lord when it comes to how it will affect my children. Do I go to Africa, move in with another family, minister to the homeless, live without an income and tell my kids it’s not about them? Yes, Yes, Yes! We can have “family” without a house and intimacy without sex. We can give up everything that the world values and receive it now and later a hundred times over (Mark 10:29-30) O, how the enemy has fed us a lie.
So Jesus’ family wants to talk to him because he is only “three chapters into this ministry” thing and it’s not looking good. He has gone a little to far and his family is embarrassed.
“Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?” This is Jesus’ reply but I know it would not have work on my mom. “These are my mother and brothers. Anyone who does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother.” (Mark 3:33-35, see also Matt. 23:8)
So how is the Locke family growing? Well, this is how Emie shared it with me. “One of the major themes the Lord is working in me is laying down our children and my ideals of "family." The Lord keeps asking me to put the kids on the altar. The first week it was grueling for me, yesterday it wasn't so difficult. I'm continuing to let the Lord readjust my ideas of family and loving my kids and parenting and what I'm teaching them about family. The Lord really convicted me that we need to be teaching our children that FAMILY is all our brothers and sisters in the Lord. We are doing them a great disservice by teaching them that our family is the 5 of us. Speaking of family, I have found our oldest son and I have no idea how I will be able to leave him. He is 11 years old and lives on this base. He is the sweetest boy I've ever met. His name is Adelino (addaleenoo). As I lay at the altar yesterday with the picture of the kids, Adelino was right next to me. My hands were anointed and as I wrestled with giving up our kids, and finally came to peace again, the Lord then said to anoint Adelino's feet with the oil on my hands as a representation of our first child added to our family. He is precious. Abiel loves him also. Our house went out to dinner tonight and I took him with us because he is my boy! He had a great time!” It looks like by the time Emie arrives back from Africa I will need a big yard AND a big house.

The Lord had a powerful time with Emie the second day of class and removed any trace of pride so she could be free to minister. And she is! Two staff members have come and spoken with her saying she is there to minister, be prayer support and set people free. Emie doesn’t need any more than that! She is off and running. Please continue to pray for her as she walks in obedience and brings Jesus’ will on earth as it is in heaven.
Last weekend they took volunteers on an evening outreach and Emie went. She was a bit apprehensive but shared it was the most awesome experience. Here are her words; “I didn't want to go back. Yes, we saw a few miracles but the greatest miracle was getting to be incarnational love to these people! AHHHHHHH, how will I come home! Only for you and the boys! While praying during the Jesus film with my team and for the pastors the power of God was so strong on me I couldn't handle it! I have never been whipped around like I was that night and when I would lay hands, the Spirit would just flow.”

The joke when I was a kid was we had four dishwashers, my three siblings and me. Emie has determined to find the road to authority and that is through serving her “family”. I know she didn’t write this so everyone would know but I am her husband and I am proud of her, so I will brag. Here is what she wrote, “I've been doing lots of dishes in the kitchen. I just want to be a blessing here you know. So yesterday, I did EVERY DISH in the whole kitchen! As lunch was finishing, there was no running water and the reserves they had were also gone. Just as the guy looked at me and started to say, "No Water," the water started running again and everyone started clapping and cheering! Consequently I had two hours of dish duty! Today, I was doing breakfast dishes and there was a huge fire in the kitchen and we all ran out coughing from the fire extinguisher! Quite the excitement!
It gets better check this out! “Oh, other highlight of my day! I volunteered for latrine duty every Friday morning! Scooping poop, scrubbing them down!” She is the real deal folks!


To this day there are no blades of grass pushing through the dirt, but not for lack of rain. Emie wrote, “Oh about the water thing. Either the first or second day of class, Lesley Anne ended and the worship team came up and she started to sing "Open the flood gates of heaven, let it rain. Let it rain." Within minutes there was a torrential down pour, comparative to the pictures you (Heath) brought back of your rainstorm! It has been the only rain we've had since we got here.” The Gospel is enough and Jesus promised we would have everything we need for life and godliness; water, fertilizer (we all know what that is) and plenty of sonshine! I guess that is why Jesus trusts the seed more than the soil.

Well, Emie says she wants to stay in Africa, but she did promise to come back and get us “boys” first. I know our mothers think Emie and I are crazy, they are clear on that one! But this we know, we can’t get in trouble this time because we haven’t done anything wrong!

Blessings
Heath, for part of the “family” that bears the last name Locke!

No comments: