Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Glory Shadows

I have been meditating these last few weeks on God's presence in us through the Holy Spirit. What do people see when they look at us? Is there an "aura" around us? When I walk pass someone do they feel a "presence"? Is the Holy Spirit that tangible, that present in my life? Can the glory of God be evident at the grocery store? Can our shadow, like Peters, heal people when we walk across them (Acts 5:15)?

What about when people look into my eyes? Do they see peace, depth, compassion, love? "The eyes are a window into the soul" Proverbs says.

In 2 Corinthians 3 Paul describes the New Covenant being so much more glorious than the Old Covenant. "The Old Covenant etched in stone led to death, yet it began with such glory that the people of Israel could not bear to look at Moses' face. . . shouldn't we EXPECT far greater glory when the Holy Spirit is giving life? In fact, the first glory was not glorious at all compared with the OVERWHELMING glory of the new covenant" (3:7-8).

Have we ever been overwhelmed with the glory of God? Can people spiritually "sensitive" see what is going on around us? Ezekiel says, God's glory is a weight, a sphere within sphere, with translucent colors (Ez.1). My friends son (5) walked up to me one day with his hands cupped, looking as if he was holding a ball. He went on to depict Ezekiel's description of God's glory without knowing it. I asked him if he had seen these "glory spheres" before. "Yes, all the time", was his humble reply.

If the old covenant started with glory but led to death, then it makes sense the new covenant would start with death and led to glory. When the glory of God is present sickness is healed, demons are cast out and we are changed. Ephesians explains, "the church is his body; it is filled by Christ, who fills everything everywhere with is presence" (Eph. 1:23).


"If the old covenant, which brings condemnation, was glorious, how much more glorious is the new covenant, which makes us right with God! In fact, that first glory was not glorious at all compared with the overwhelming glory of the new covenant. . . the new covenant, which remains forever, has far greater glory. Since the new covenant gives us such confidence, we can be very bold" (2 Cor. 3:9-12).

The question is obvious, how do we allow the Holy Spirit to dwell in us so potently the world "senses" God in us? Paul gives us insight, "as the Spirit of the Lord works in us, we become more and more like him and REFLECT his GLORY even more" (3:18).

Should people look at us and be overwhelmed with the glory of God we display? Shouldn't it be evident "that God no longer dwells in things made my human hands" (Acts 17:24) rather he dwells within us?

Let us reflect the glory of God so much more people are overwhelmed with his presence when we cross paths.

As for why my shadow is not pulling people off the pavement? Simple, in Oregon, there is no sun!

Blessings
He@th

1 comment:

Joce said...

Hmmmm, I've pondered this many times. . . I wonder regularly if people can see Jesus in me? Do they feel His presence, His peace, His rest just by looking at me or walking by? I don't say this to gloat or puff myself up, because I know my flesh is wretched but I know my King has overcome that and lives in me. I wish I could see for a moment through God's eyes and to what He sees from the spiritual sense. Thank you for making us think, and for challenging us to live Jesus even when it's hard.
Love you guys and miss you.
Jocelyn